Brian's primary work is helping privately-owned businesses avoid and, if necessary, defend against employment practices violations and lawsuits, and protect the competitive edge those businesses have gained through hard work and sacrifice.
Brian handles the whole spectrum of employment and trade secret law:
- Employment agreements
- Non-compete agreements
- Trade secret protection
- Employee handbooks
- Employment policies
- Executive compensation
- Employee counseling
- Employee recruiting and job placement
- Negotiation of severance agreements
- Non-litigated resolution of employment disputes
- and trials and appeals of employment and trade secret disputes.
Brian also handles disputes involving business transactions, business ownership, personal injury, construction (particularly mechanic's liens, lien enforcement, and general contractor and subcontractor issues), and environmental matters.
In past practice, Brian represented amateur (high school and college age) and professional athletes in negotiating and enforcing player and endorsement contracts and has more recently pursued agent malpractice and professional liability claims for negligently negotiated agreements that damaged professional athletes and their earning potential.
Brian has also assisted a number of professional athletes in creating and operating charitable foundations and non-profit organizations.
Areas of Practice
- Employment law
- Trade Secret/Restrictive Covenant Law
- Commercial/Business Litigation
- Business and Corporate Law
- Estate Planning
- Private Foundations and Charitable Giving
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Student Bar Association Representative of the Year Award, 1997-1998
- Honors: Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities, 1998-1999
- Xavier University
- Bachelor of Arts /magna cum laude/ - 1994
- Honors: University Scholar
- Major: History
Honors and Awards
- Participant, Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers, 2010
- Peer-rated Ohio Super Lawyer – Rising Star, 2010 - 2011
- Former Certified Contract Advisor, National Football League Players’ Association and Canadian Football League Players’ Association
- Peer-rated Ohio Super Lawyer, 2018 - Present
- 2018 Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Sports Lawyers Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Steven E. Martin, Hamilton County, Ohio Court of Common Pleas , Constable and Law Clerk, 1997 - 1999
Pro Bono Activities
- Trustee, Teen Response, Inc.
- Trustee, Neusole Foundation
- Trustee, Vice President, Cincinnati Police Foundation, Inc.
- Football Coordinator, St. Gertrude School
- Youth football coach, St. Gertrude School
- Trustee, Greater Cincinnati Sports Corporation
- Board Member, St. Xavier High School Music Boosters
- Adjunct Professor, Sports Business Law, Xavier University, Cincinnati, 2006 - 2009
- Xavier University Lawyers Club
- Adjunct Professor, Environmental, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, 1999 - 2006